Tuesday, October 5, 2010

work mixed in with religion.

Being back at my old Job when I was 16 is fun.
i know how things work. know where basically everthing is. know the menu. seating arrangement. money wise. server's. take outs. etc....today I closed and man was it sloooooowww.
There are the good and bad when working when it is slow. The good is you don't feel rushed and you can just relax and ponder about things but then I have realized time goes by really slow. Either way it keeps you busy and occupied doing the job that needs to get done. no complaints and i'm earning money.
  • I closed with this server named Matt tonight first time working with him closed since I have been back at this job for now two weeks. It was really slow and we talked about an hour while he was doing his closing for serving and i was doing my closing for cashier and doing side work. Talking while getting the job done perfect right? The first thing that started this conversation was like Sarah are you LDS>? I said yes I am LDs. and then he is like did you know there are 3 types of LDS people. and I asked him to explain this.
    1. They think they are better then everyone else
    2. They go to church maybe 2 times a month and call it good
    3. They go to church every week and do church activties.
      I said I would fit in the number 3 categories and of course proud of my descion and the religion that I believe. I said Yes I go to church every Sunday, I'm also taking institute class, oh and I'm also in an LDS institute sorority> does that answer his question yes.
      I didn't think we would get into a deep conversation in a way I wished it was busy but then it was a good talk and made me appreciate my beliefs and what myself stands up for.
      It then got to the point of my opinion on drugs. smoking. and intimate relationship with the opposite sex> I told him I of course don't judge people and that is their choice on what they want to do with their life...because in the end they will have to deal with their consequences of the choices they are making. He then asked what I thought about if a friend of mine drinked. I had two friends in high school that at school in our classes we were tight friends. sat at lunch. etc. I went to her birthday party my Junior year and things started to change. They had alchol at her birthday party. Of course I still say hi and would have conversations with her but didn't like to do after school acitivities with her or hang out because I didn't like the environment I was in. I think this is different for each individual and when you decide now at a young age what is good and what is bad it is easier when it gets to that point. like for me it was easy to say No because I had already set that goal in my life to never. ever drink. smoke or have an intimate relationship before marriage. After having this conversation with this server....it made me appreciate my life so much more. Listening to him talk about his family. his past relationships. smoking. drinking. tickets. etc.....I am so grateful for the choices I have made and for the person I am today. I have been raised in this wonderful gospel but now reaching the age of TWENTY almost SUNDAY is my birthday crazy! It is up to me to make the choices I want and the path way to go. I have been blessed in so many ways and love this right path way to follow. CTR ;) Then when we were closing up to go home...he said I hope this conversation won't make you hate me as a person or judge me in the wrong way. In my mind I'm thinkin well those were the choices you made. your life pretty much sucks without the gospel. and of course I will still talk to you and be your friend if you need someone to listen but just as a co-worker. The funny thing is I haven't really had a talk like this at a work environment so it was pretty shocking, but then again everyone at my Italian Restaurant isn't LDS. they do swear which bothers me but doesn't make me change my ways and i still won't swear. When I told him I don't like it when people swear, my best friend in high school swore but would sometimes apologize for doing it in front of me. The server then said he would try and not swear when i'm around..but then right after the next sentence he swore...it makes me realize that swearing is a bad habit that people have. It just fits into their vocabulary like normals words such as the. like. um...then.when.her.she. i. me...it is sad that people have that habit. He then said have you heard the phrase: you must try things once to actually experience it.. I disagree with that statement and don't think you have to try everything to experience it....you can already see the outcome from other people in this lovely world of today. And why start to drink when you see the outcome of those that drink..and the sad things that have happened to those people and other situations. I think this familiar phrase that I'm sure we have all heard should be more like: try the things in like that YOU PERSONALLY want to experience based on your life.religion.beliefs.family.background.etc..;) Hopefully I can be a good example to my co-workers and those that come into work as customer's.
      it was an interesting conversation. I then came home shared my pizza with my dad and talked about tonight and the interesting people I work with. He shared stories when he worked as a garbage truck driver and those people were also interesting. didn't have the same values. beliefs. etc. it was a good chit chat.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment